Trout Fishing Tips


Trout are a very enjoyable species of fish to spend your time trying to catch. In this article, I'm going to discuss some tips that should help you catch more trout. When I speak of trout, I'm referring to the basic trout species that can be found throughout the United States. These species would include: Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Cutthroat, and Bull Trout. Although there are variations in temperament, colors, and size within these groups of trout, the methods for trying to catch them are similar. Below are some general trout fishing tips to help you catch more of any or all of the species listed above, especially in river and stream situations.
Size Matters - When it comes to trout fishing, the size of your gear and bait matter. In most trout fishing situations, ultra light to light gear and bait is the way to go. Unless of course you happen to be fishing for the monster Great Lakes visiting Brown Trout of the Midwest, in which case heavier gear will be necessary. I personally use a 5 foot ultra light rod and ultra light reel spooled with four for almost all of my trout fishing, and catch very large trout on a setup just like this. As far as hooks, the biggest I use for trout fishing with live bait is size 10. When it comes to lures, small lures are what you want to use as well. I personally don't normally fish for trout with spinners and spoons that are bigger than ¼ ounce. And minnow-type plugs shouldn't exceed four inches long, in my opinion when fishing for trout.
Clothing Matters - In river and stream situations when the angler is wading in an attempt to catch fish, the color of your clothing matters. Loud colors or even plain white, stand out and the fish will be able to see you. I always wear drab colors to blend in with the background as much as possible. Trout in rivers and streams can become vary wary of anglers, so not standing out works to the anglers' advantage. Simply pick a t-shirt that's brown or grey. As apposed to bright red or bright white.
Smell Matters - I'm not talking about the kind of deodorant you use. I'm speaking of the scent on your hands. All varieties of trout have a very sensitive sense of smell and can detect unnatural odors. For example, if you smoke, when you're done with a cigarette your hands smell like an ashtray. This smell then transfers to whatever you touch (if you don't believe me, just ask a non smoker if this is the case.) Therefore, when you touch the bait or lure to attach it to your hook or line, that scent gets on your bait! This will cost you a ton of bites. In most situations a trout will "sniff" the bait before biting it. If it stinks like an ashtray, there will be no biting. I suggest both grabbing a handful of weeds or dirt and rubbing it in your hands periodically, just in case any unnatural scants are on your hands. This simple tip will result in more bites.
Presentation Matters - Trout are a very intelligent species of fish. Whatever bait you chose to use must be presented in the most natural way possible. This is especially true with live bait. You want your bait to look as natural as possible. This is why I use a set of pre-tied gang hooks, because they enable me to present my live bait in an amazingly natural way. With trout in a river or stream situation, presentation matters as much as any other single aspect.
If you begin using these tips, you will start catching more trout. Actually, all I can promise is that you will get more bites, the setting of the hook, and actually fighting the trout, are in your hands. These tips will definitely help you get more bites, which is really what we're all in search of, right?
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!

42 comments:

  1. You have shared nice tips for fishing. I am sure that these tips work fine. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog site. Thanks for all the tips. My husband always said fishing was purely luck. Don't agree. Trout are smart and these are some great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fishing. I have never gone trout fishing but looking forward to taking my son. Great information here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently took up fishing and I love it. It seems like the only time I truely have just to myself. Trout fishing is tough but well worth it. Nice site

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post about fishing tips. I know some time was put into this post. Great job great post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smell tip is so obvious, yet it seems that many fishermen ignore it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This truly is a very important blog. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post about fishing tips. I know some time was put into this post. Great job great post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was absolutely the best article that I have read regarding this issue. Kudos to the owner of this blog for writing such masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writing style and how you write articles, really perfect. Do you consider writing for other blogs as a guest?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only been once to fishing, but i was lovelly. I'll keep going, and i'll try not to forget these tips ;) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! what a great article. I rarely go to trout fishing but I never know about these important things that can make a big difference. You are truly a fishing expert, I'll try to keep these tips in my mind next time when I will go for fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have to say that trout fishing is my favorite type of fishing. Its just so fun and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great tips! Just in time for the season too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post helps me to understand Trout Fishing Tips.it has great.Thanks for the helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and some really useful tips there. I love resource lists like this. Have social bookmarked it in the hope that others can also benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really so informative and innovative article about fishing. Thanks a lot for these useful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love fishing! I'm from Romania and i often go fishing in the Danube's Delta! Great article

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool tips to know. Will do fishing via this way and let you know too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I have saw your link posted. Your post are very informative, and can add to my blogging and internet journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a very informative article,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Content is the most important when writing. Content is the meat of your topic and it should be really written well. Thank you for your ideas also and I like it.

    http://www.onlineassignmentexpert.com/dissertation-writing-help

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is very helpful. I didn't think that fishes have noses too seriously. I better get off my cigarette the first thing in the morning before I go fishing then. Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The way you present yourself is really important. Animals are very perspective and they can notice the littlest changes in their environment. Seeing rainbow colored socks while fishing will surely alert the fish that something is amiss and not get close to anywhere near you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Attractive section of content material. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire truly enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will likely be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. ThanksI have to say I really like reading this alot. That's is awesome stuff. I really appreciated with all the given information.We will look forward for your future updates.It's obvious that your knowledge of the subject is deep and this made for a very interesting read.I am satisfied to locate numerous useful information here in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great article …Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love this post, Very informative it is. Readers definitely get some useful knowledge from here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post. All readers will definitely like this post. Looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for sharing. I hope it will be helpful to many people that are searching for this topic. Keep posting guys and keep this forum a great place to learn things.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject, I would very a lot like to hear much more from you on this subject matter – I have bookmarked this page and will return soon to hear additional about it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. http://www.vellimarwan.com/tips-memilih-baju-anak-branded-berkualitas/comment-page-1/#comment-4775

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice post, Critical things are explained in details. I appreciate it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like your approach on the topic. Your article is as interesting as your previous writings. Keep up the good work, thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great article. Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I don’t know how I should give you thanks for making us aware about this important information! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time I would have wasted by browsing for same information on internet. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    rateio para concursos

    ReplyDelete